Traditional Caldo Verde Soup
- 1 pound collard greens
- 1 pound chourico sausage
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 russet potatoes
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp chicken bullion
- ¼ white pepper
- Slice the chourico in 1/4 rounds and sautee i a large pot (about a 6-8 quart pot)over medium heat cook the sausage for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pot and reserve for later..
- Add 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to the pot and sauté the diced onions. Cook the onion for about 5-10 minutes and then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Then add to the pot with the onions and garlic; add 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Bring the water to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Purée it using an immersion blender, bar blender or food processor.
- Add the salt, chicken bullion, and white pepper (up to this point the soup can be made 2 to 3 days ahead of time hey half hour before service bring the soup up to a simmer and add the collard greens)
- Wash the collard greens, then remove the top spine from the middle of the collard greens.
- Next roll up the collard greens and slice them as thin as possible. Add collard greens to the soup, and simmer until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle the caldo verde into bowls and garnish with a few slices of chouriço.