Toucinho do Céu (Bacon from heaven - Portuguese Almond Torte
- 8 inch cake pan, (or 9 inch spring form pan)
- parchment paper
- ½ cup water
- 1-¼ cups sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-¾ almond flour
- 3 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 tbsp pork lard can be substituted with 3 tablespoons of butter
- a tablespoon of butter used to butter the pan
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting the cooked torte
- put the the cake pan or springform pan you are using on top of the parchment paper. Trace out a circle with a pencil. Cut out a circle. Butter the bottom of the pan and sides. Then, place the parchement inside the cake pan.
- In a pot add the water, salt and sugar. Bring it to a boil
- Turn the heat to low. Add the lard and butter.
- When the lard and butter have melted add in the almond flour while stirring with a wooden or heat resistant spatula. Continue to cook while stirring for two minutes over low heat.
- add orange zest and almond extract.
- Turn off the heat and add the egg yolks and whole eggs while continuously stirring
- Pour the batter into your cake pan and place in an oven that has been preheated to 350°F (177°C) For 20-25 minutes. Oh or until you reach an internal temperature of 185-190 F (85°C - 88°C)
- Allowed the tort to cool off for 10 -20 minutes. Unmold, then dust with powdered sugar