Try out this mouthwatering Portuguese appetizer. Other than soaking the salted cod, which is a relatively hands off process, this recipe comes together easily. Perfect appetizer for a party, especially during the holidays.
Salt Cod Fritters - Bolinhos de Bacalhau
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb salted cod
- 1 lb potato boiled and mashed
- 1 white or yellow onion minced
- 3 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme finely chopped
- corn oil
- Remove the dried salted bacalau from packaging and soak in fresh water. Refresh the water twice over two hours, then let the cod soak in fresh water overnight. Again, refresh the water at least twice over two hours in the morning.
- To the mashed potatoes add cilantro, parsley, thyme and onions. Stir to evenly distribute throughout the potatoes. Crack eggs into the bowl. Stir to combine. The potato mixture should hold its shape on a spoon. If it has too much moisture add breadcrumbs as needed. Refrigerate mixture while you prepare the cod.
- Using two forks, or a food processor, shred the cod. Take caution when using a food processor to not bring the cod to a paste. Use the pulse feature to have more control.
- Mix shredded cod into the potato mixture. Using two spoons, or your hands, form one fritter into an egg shape.
- Heat a pot of oil to 350°F. Drop in one of your egg shaped fritters and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Taste. After tasting your first fritter adjust the seasoning of the mixture if necessary before shaping and frying the remaining fitters.