Pudim Abade de Priscos (The Abbot of Priscos Pudding)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice (you can also use white wine vinegar)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 oz pork belly (bacon)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 lemon zest (two large pieces of lemon zest - the outer skin of about a half a lemon)
- 1/4 cup porto wine
- 20 egg yolks (you could use up to 25 egg yolks if you want a firmer pudding)
- Heat sugar with a ½ cup of water in a small saucepan over high heat, without stirring. When sugar reaches an amber color reduce the heat to medium. Be careful not to burn. Heat caramel to 350 - 355 F. As soon as it has the desired color, remove from the heat.
- Pour about 6 cups of water into the mold and make a note of the level of the water from the top- because you want your swirl hot caramel to this level. Dump the water out).
- Pour the caramel into the pudding pan/mold (6- 9 inches round that has the capacity to hold about 8-12 cups, with lid or cover with foil ) making sure to spread the caramel to the same height as the water. This is extremely hot, oven mitts are recommended.
- Bring water to a boil, in a medium saucepan over high heat. Then add sugar, bacon finely sliced, cinnamon, lemon without the white part. Let the syrup reach 103 ºC or 217 ºF (thin thread stage), slowly. Now add the Port wine to the syrup. Let the syrup mixture cool for at least 30 minutes. (if the syrup is too hot, over 150°F, it can prematurely start to cook the egg yolks)
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 385 ºF.
- Separate egg whites from the yolks. Stir the egg yolks with a spoon for about a minute.
- When the syrup, cinnamon, pork belly, lemon rind, and Port wine mixture is cool add it to the egg yolks. Stir the entire mixture together for a few minutes with a spoon or rubber spatula and then strain through a sieve)Pour strained mixture into the pan/mold, previously covered with caramel. Cover the pan with 2 sheets of aluminum foil well tighten or a lid. Place it in a (bain-marie) and bake it in the 385 F oven for about 1.25- 1.5 hour. Until set (touch the top with your finger the pudding should be firm to the touch (about an internal temperature of 175 -180 F internal temperature).
- Let it cool in the refrigerator or at least 8 -18 hours until cold in the center of the pan.