This sandwich has few ingredients but delicious flavor. The tender meat with the addition of sliced garlic between fresh bread is a combination that cannot be beat.
Prego - Portuguese Garlic Steak Sandwich
- 6-8 oz flank steak / top round / top sirloin ¼" thick pieces
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bread roll
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Using meat tenderizer, or back of a skillet, pound the meat until it is ⅛" thick.
- Sprinkle the sliced garlic and bay leaf pieces over the steak. Gently pound the garlic until it is embedded into the steak.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil to medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the steak, garlic side down. Cook the meat for one minute on each side. Pick off the bay leaf pieces and discard.
- Into the same pan add in the bread. Allow it to toast for about one minute. Add in more olive oil if needed. Assemble and serve!