Porco Alentejana (Pork and Clams)
- 4 pounds Clams
- 2 pounds pork loin (boneless pork chops)
- 1½ pounds small white potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1½ cups red or white wine
- 2 red bell peppers
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1½ tbsp paprika
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- ¼ cup tomato paste or red bell pepper pureesalt and pepper
- Rinse the clams three times to remove any sand. (optional: submerge the clams in a bowl fill with water for about three hours)
- Cut your pork in half inch cubes and salt the pork
- Slice the red bell peppers, chopped onion, chopped the cilantro, mint your garlic.
- Quarter the potatoes. Boil them in salted water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the potatoes are cooked drain them into a colander.
- In a hot pan and 1/4 cup of olive oil and sauté the pork for about three minutes then add in the onions, bay leaves, pepper paprika and bell pepper and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the fresh garlic and sauté for additional minute
- Add the clams potatoes and wine. Cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes until all the clams have opened.
- Add the cilantro finish with more extra-virgin olive oil and optional add some tomato paste or purée of roasted red bell pepper.