Portuguese Pizza (linguiça, São Jorge cheese, Bolo do Caco dough)
- 4-¾ cups bread flour
- 1-¾ cups warm water (105 - 115 F)
- ⅛ tsp sugar
- ½ cup mashed sweet white potato
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound Linguiça
- 1 pound Sao Jorge Cheese
- 1½ cups tomato puree
- 1 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bay leaves optional
- 2 collard green leaves sliced thin
Makes two 15 inch pizzas
- Mix the warm water and yeast together with the sugar.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Boil for about 20 minutes, until very soft
- Mash the potatoes thoroughly, or put the potatoes through a ricer. There shouldn't be any small chunks of potatoes it should all be a very smooth purée.
- Mix the mashed potato purée with the yeast water mixture to create a slurry. Then mix the slurry into the four and three-quarter cups of bread flour and salt. Knead for about 2 minutes and let rest for 10 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the water.
- Knead the dough for an additional 5 minutes.
- Bulk proof the dough for 3-6 hours if the room temperature is about 72°F. If your proofing area is around 80°F it will probably take closer to 2-3 hours. If your proofing area is colder than 72° it might take up to six or eight hours.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions
- Kneed the dough for about three minutes. Then roll into a ball shape. Put each dough ball in a separate bowl and coat with a little olive oil. Allowed to proof for an additional 2 to 3 hours , assuming your proofing area is around 72°F
- Pre-your oven to 450°F (232°C)
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet pan, and then place each dough ball in the center of the cookie sheet pan. Push down on the middle of the dough ball to start shaping the pizza. With the flat part of your hand near the edge/crust of the dough stretching the dough into a circular shape.
- Spread half the pizza sauce on each pizza, sprinkle with cheese and linguiça.
- Bake at 450° for 25 to 30 minutes
- In a pan add about 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Then add the chopped garlic and bay leaves. Sauté for about three minutes. Then add the sliced collard greens. Sauté for an additional two minutes. Then add the tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper