Portuguese Chocolate Salami
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 oz butter
- 7 oz Maria Biscuits broken up
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 oz Port wine (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place biscuits in a large ziplock bag and crush them until you have small and coarse crumbs.
- Set up a bain-marie: a pot with a little bit of water that you could set a bowl on top. In a medium bowl place chocolate 1/2 cup sugar, salt and butter. Place the bowl on top of the bain-marie; heat until melted and smooth. Add cream and alcohol, if using, and stir. Mix over low heat until melted and smooth. Let the chocolate mixture cool for about five minutes. Add chocolate mixture to crumb mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread the mixture out on plastic wrap and shape it into a log using a spatula or spoon. Wrap the plastic around the chocolate; Then wrap the log around aluminum foil. Place in the fridge for several hours until firm.
- After chilling, remove log from the foil and plastic wrap. dust with powdered sugar from all sides. Cut into pieces and serve. (it's easier to cut if the log has been at room temperature for about 30 minutes)
- Keep in the fridge or freezer. If kept in the freezer, place at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting or serving.