Pão-de-Ló (Portuguese sponge cake)(Japanese Kasutera)
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup flour sifted
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter to butter the cake pan
- 1st butter your mold/cake pan. Then In a very clean bowl add the egg whites and ¼ tsp of lemon juice.Beat the egg whites until they are frothy- about one minute at medium speed. Next while the mixer is still running at high speed adding a quarter cup of sugar slowly. Continue to whisk at high speed until you have stiff peaks. then incorporate them delicately and little by little into the previous preparation, lifting the mixture.
- Transfer the whipped egg whites into a large bowl. Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C)
- In the same bowl that you whip the egg whites add the egg yolks, and salt together. Whisk together at high speed while slowly adding in a ¼ cup of sugar. (whisk for about 3-5 minutes)
- Microwave your honey for about 10 seconds. You just want it to be slightly warm so that it will easily blend in with the sugar egg yolks mixture.
- While the mixer is running at low speed add the honey to the egg yolk sugar mixture. Next the flour to the mixture while whisking at low speed.
- Pour the egg yolk flour mixture over the whipped egg whites and with a rubber spatula using long sweeping strokes blend the two together. Blend just enough to combin. I shouldn't see any streaks of egg white.
- Pour the batter into a mold and place inside a a 400°F oven 205°C. Close the oven door and lower the temperature to 350°F (176°C) Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes then unmold the cake.