Palitos de Cerveja (Madeira Island Portugal Beer Sticks)
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 9 oz soft butter
- 7 oz beer (just under a cup of lager beer)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix the flour, salt and soft butter and work the dough with your hands, to combine the butter and flour. Add the beer little by little and knead until you get a dough with an elastic consistency that comes off the bottom of the bowl (about 5 minutes by hand).
- Roll out the dough with a roller about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick and cut into strips with a width of 1/2 and inch (1 cm) and a length of 5 inches (12cm).
- Put one egg white at a time in a bowl and mix with a spoon for a few seconds. Twist the strips like screw. Finally, pass the twisted dough sticks in the beaten egg white ( you only need a very light coating of egg whites just enough so the sugar sticks to the stick)
- Next coat the stick with granulated sugar, place the sticks on a non-stick tray or lined with parchment paper. (add another egg white to the bowl as needed).
- Place in a pre-heated oven at (350°F )180º for about 20-25 minutes until the toothpicks are golden in color.
- Note: because these are coated in sugar they tend to want to brown on the bottom. After about 15 minutes in the oven, if they're getting too dark on the bottom you could flip them over with some tongs and continue cooking for another 10 minutes- to get a more even golden color.
- After they are cooked let them cool for about 10 minutes. But, it's a good idea to take them off the cookie sheet tray before they cool down completely because they tend to want to stick to the tray and to each other.