This meal will come together in just under 30 minutes! The breading on the chicken provides a nice crunch, giving contrast to the tender chicken and soft melted cheese.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices sliced mozzarella
- fresh mozzarella
- 4 cups spinach tighly packed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. The chicken breast should be about a ½ inch thick. Slice in half if necessary.
- Place the chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, or the bottom of a flat pan, pound the chicken to just under ¼ inch thick. Remove the plastic and season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Set up a station with three bowls. In the first bowl add the flour. In the second bowl place one egg and two teaspoons of water. Whisk to combine. In the third and final bowl place the breadcrumbs. First, coat the chicken breast throughly in flour. Then submerge the chicken breast in the egg wash. Lastly, evenly coat the chicken breast in breadcrumbs, pressing them in slightly.
- Add olive oil, enough to form a thin layer over the bottom of the pan, to a pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, at about 300°F, add in the chicken breast. The oil should sizzle when the chicken breast is added, if this does not happen your oil is not hot enough. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn heat down to medium-low and flip chicken cooking on the other side for 3 minutes. While chicken is still in the pan top with fresh and sliced mozzarella. Turn pan to low and loosely cover for 1 minute allowing the cheese to melt.
- In another pan melt butter on medium heat. Once the butter begins to brown slightly, add the garlic. As all the butter begins to brown, turn down the heat and add the spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once the spinach is wilted remove from the heat.
- To plate the chicken parmesan, add a tablespoon of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Serve alongside satuéed spinach.