Broas de Mel (Madeira island molasses cookies)
- 2-¼ cups flour
- 6 oz butter room temperature
- 1-¼ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp molasses
- ½ lemon zest zest from 1/2 a lemon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix the sugar and soft butter in the bowl. About 1-2 minutes in an electric mixer or 5 minutes by hand.
- In a separate bowl mix all your dry ingredients flour, spices, lemon zest, salt, baking soda
- Now add all these dry ingredients to the bowl with the sugar and flour mixture. Add one egg and 2 tablespoons of molasses, then mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Scoop out a portion of about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and roll into a ball - repeat. Place the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Allow the dough balls to chill and refrigerator for about an hour .
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Remove the cookie sheet pans from the refrigerator and place immediately into a preheated 350°F oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!