After following this recipe you will learn how to debone and chicken while also being left with a delicious bone broth! Keep the broth in the freezer and use as needed.
Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 whole chicken
- 10-15 sprigs fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, and oregano)
- Reach into the chicken and remove any gizzards.
- Remove the wings by cutting at the joint. Place into the stock pot.
- Remove the legs by cutting where the leg meats the breast. Using the leg bones as your guide, gently cut along the bone trying to keep the meat in one piece if possible. Set the bones into the stock pot. Set the thigh meat aside to use at another time.
- Feel between the two breasts for the breast bone. Cut along both sides of the breast bone and ribs, removing the bones from the breast meat. Place the bones into the stock pot. Set the breast meat aside to use in another dish.
- Tie up the sprigs of fresh herbs into a small bouquet. This is known as a bouquet garni.
- Fill your stock pot, which already has the bones in it, with water. Let it simmer at the lowest temperature on your stove. After 5 hours of simmering drop in your bouquet garni, and let the stock simmer for 1 additional hour.
- After the stock is done place in the refrigerator. Once the stock has solidified, scoop the layer of fat off the top of the stock. Freeze stock or keep in refrigerator and use as needed.