Bolos de São Gonçalo (Portuguese Doces Fálicos)
- 6-3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packs yeast
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup water (warm water ideally between 105 and 115°F)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1-1/2 tbsp water
Instructions for the dough:
- Add 1 cup of warm water ideally between 105 and 115°F to a bowl with a pinch of sugar and yeast. Let the yeast rehydrate and multiply for about 10 minutes.
- in the bowl that has the yeast add in about half of the flour and a 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix to combine
- Next, add 2 eggs and 1 cup of warm water and mix to combine. Let this dough set for about 30 minutes in a warm place.(Ideally in an area that's 75 to 85°F)
- After the dough has proved for 30 minutes add the rest of the flour, 2 teaspoons of salt and 8 tbsp of melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Now for this second proof stage allow the dough to proof for 30 - 60 minutes. (in a warm area ideally 75 to 85°F)
- Portion the dough about 5-7 ounces balls
- Roll out the portions of dough into a tube/shaft shape (about 8-9 inches)
- With a sharp knife go up about 4 inches on the shaft and cut in in half lengthwise
- Take the right and left sides of the 4 inch cut and roll it up into a spiral/ball shape.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- After you shape all of the portions into penises, put them on a cookie sheet pan and into a 400° oven.
Make an egg wash
- In a small bowl crack one egg and add 1 tbsp of water. Whisk with a fork for a few seconds to blend.
- After the bolos have been baking for 15 minutes. Brush on the egg wash.
- Bake the bolos for an additional 10 minutes. (a total bake time of about 25 minutes.
For the glaze
- In a bowl add 1-1/4 cups of powdered sugar, lemon juice, 1-2 tbsps of water, almond extract. Mix together to combine.
- A little change in the amount of water you add in could make a big difference on the consistency of the glaze, so add a little bit at a time until you reach your desired consistency- I think the consistency of ketchup (pourable and thick is ideal)
- After the bolos have cooled down for about 10 minutes brush them with the glaze