Bolo do Caco com Chouriço - Madeira Island Bread Stuffed with Chouriço
- 8 cups bread flour
- 3 cups warm water 105 to 115 F is the ideal temperature
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1 cup mashed white sweet potatoes
- 1-2/3 TBSP salt
- 1 -1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 2 pounds Chouriço or linguiça sausage
- Rehydrate the dry yeast in the warm water with a pinch (about 1/8 tsp) of sugar. Ideally the water should be at a temperature between 105 and 115°F. Let the yeast rehydrate for about 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of the flour (reserve two cups) to the water yeast mixture. Mix with a spoon and allow with to hydrate the yeast and ferment for 1-2 hours. (this step helps develop gluten before you add the mashed potato mixture)
- While the dough is fermenting boil your potatoes in unsalted water. cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Mash the potatoes and measure out 1 cup.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and salt into the the dough that has been fermenting for 1-2 hours.Slowly knead in the remaining 2 cups of flour. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes by hand.
- Bulk proof for 3-6 hours at 75-85°F.Or over night for 8-12 hours a 65-75°F
- Prepare your dough to be stuffed with the sausage by portioning out the dough and 6-7 ounce portions. Shape the dough into a small round shape about 5 inches in diameter and let rest for about 10 minutes to relax the gluten.
- Cut the sausage in coin shapes about a quarter inch thick. (if you prefer you can cut the sausage in very long quarter inch strips)
- Shape the dough into rectangles about 7 inches long bye 4 inches wide.
- Place about 4-6 oz of sausage on each piece of dough. And and with the wide side of the dough closest to you fold the dough over the sausage- just enough to cover the sausage. Next fold the ends of the dough over the end pieces sausage; and finally fold the other wide side of the dough over the sausage. Place on a cookie sheet seam side down.
- Warm up a pan to a medium low temperature (about 300°F) and place the sausage stuffed dough seam side down in the pan. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes (for a total cook time in the pan of about 25-30 minutes). Note: after you brown each of the sides you can place the whole thing in the oven for about 20 minutes to finish cooking)