Bolo do Caco com Chouriço - Madeira Island Bread Stuffed with Chouriço
Delicious street food you can find all over the island.
- 8 cups bread flour
- 3 cups warm water 105 to 115 F is the ideal temperature
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1 cup mashed white sweet potatoes
- 1-2/3 TBSP salt
- 1 -1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 2 pounds Chouriço or linguiça sausage
- Rehydrate the dry yeast in the warm water with a pinch (about 1/8 tsp) of sugar. Ideally the water should be at a temperature between 105 and 115°F. Let the yeast rehydrate for about 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of the flour (reserve two cups) to the water yeast mixture. Mix with a spoon and allow with to hydrate the yeast and ferment for 1-2 hours. (this step helps develop gluten before you add the mashed potato mixture)
- While the dough is fermenting boil your potatoes in unsalted water. cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Mash the potatoes and measure out 1 cup.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and salt into the the dough that has been fermenting for 1-2 hours.Slowly knead in the remaining 2 cups of flour. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes by hand.
- Bulk proof for 3-6 hours at 75-85°F.Or over night for 8-12 hours a 65-75°F
- Prepare your dough to be stuffed with the sausage by portioning out the dough and 6-7 ounce portions. Shape the dough into a small round shape about 5 inches in diameter and let rest for about 10 minutes to relax the gluten.
- Cut the sausage in coin shapes about a quarter inch thick. (if you prefer you can cut the sausage in very long quarter inch strips)
- Shape the dough into rectangles about 7 inches long bye 4 inches wide.
- Place about 4-6 oz of sausage on each piece of dough. And and with the wide side of the dough closest to you fold the dough over the sausage- just enough to cover the sausage. Next fold the ends of the dough over the end pieces sausage; and finally fold the other wide side of the dough over the sausage. Place on a cookie sheet seam side down.
- Warm up a pan to a medium low temperature (about 300°F) and place the sausage stuffed dough seam side down in the pan. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes (for a total cook time in the pan of about 25-30 minutes). Note: after you brown each of the sides you can place the whole thing in the oven for about 20 minutes to finish cooking)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!