Alcatra (Azores Island: Terceira Clay Pot Roast)
- 5 pounds any combination of chuck, rump & shank
- 8 oz pork belly or bacon
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups red wine - enough to cover the meat (you could use 1/2 wine & 1/2 stock)
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp allspice
- ½ tbsp cloves
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt per pound of meat (for 5# meat add about 2-2.5 tsp salt)
- Cut the meat into about 8 to 12 ounce pieces. (so you can layer the pieces in the pot)
- Salt the meat about 1/3- 1/2 tsp per pound.
- In a 5-6 quart (liter) roasting oven safe pot. Layer the meat, pork belly, spices, tomato paste and onions.
- In a 350°F (177°C) bake for about 4 to 6 hours) when done, you should easily be able to pull apart the meat with just two forks. (the meat will be tender after 4 hours, from 4-6 hours it will be more tender/ pull apart easier- closer to 6 hours shredable like pulled pork) Cook it to your desired preference.
- You could easily make this dish a few days ahead of time. Serve with potatoes, rice, or bread.