Alcatra (Azores Island: Terceira Clay Pot Roast)
- 5 pounds any combination of chuck, rump & shank
- 8 oz pork belly or bacon
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups red wine - enough to cover the meat (you could use 1/2 wine & 1/2 stock)
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp allspice
- ½ tbsp cloves
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt per pound of meat (for 5# meat add about 2-2.5 tsp salt)
- Cut the meat into about 8 to 12 ounce pieces. (so you can layer the pieces in the pot)
- Salt the meat about 1/3- 1/2 tsp per pound.
- In a 5-6 quart (liter) roasting oven safe pot. Layer the meat, pork belly, spices, tomato paste and onions.
- In a 350°F (177°C) bake for about 4 to 6 hours) when done, you should easily be able to pull apart the meat with just two forks. (the meat will be tender after 4 hours, from 4-6 hours it will be more tender/ pull apart easier- closer to 6 hours shredable like pulled pork) Cook it to your desired preference.
- You could easily make this dish a few days ahead of time. Serve with potatoes, rice, or bread.
Clay Cooking Pot with Lid, Clay Pots for Cooking, Earthenware Rice Pots, UNGLAZED Twice Baked Traditional Casserole for Cooking on STOVE Top, Vintage Portuguese Terracotta Roaster (Large)Uma Casa Portuguese Restaurant in San Francisco https://www.umacasarestaurant.com/ Read the article : Alcatra and the Bovine Soul of an Island https://www.curiositymag.com/2018/07/25/alcatra-bulls-terceira-azores/ Note:*** I've had a comment from someone from Terceira tell me that traditional Alcatra doesn't contain cloves or tomato paste
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!