Papas de CAROLO (sweet corn meal dessert)
- 9 inch round casserole dish
- 1 quart milk
- ¾ cup corn meal
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 strips of orange zest
- 3 strips of lemon zest
- ground cinnamon, to decorate
- In a pot pour in the milk, cinnamon, orange, zest, lemon, zest, salt, sugar, and butter. Over low heat, bring the mixture up to a summer, occasionally stirring.
- Once the mixture has reached a simmer, continue to simmer for about 10 minutes to extract the flavor from the cinnamon and zest
- After 10 minutes remove the zest from the milk mixture
- Over very low heat slowly add the cornmeal while continuously, stirring preferably with a whisk.
- Once the mixture has started to thicken up, you could continue stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon for the time specified on the package of your cornmeal. Depending on the coarseness of the cornmeal, I could be anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.
- Pour the cornmeal into your serving dish and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Then decorate with cinnamon powder and serve warm.