Azorean Fresh Cheese (queijo fresco dos açores)
- 5 cheese molds https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/pans-forms-and-molds
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 3 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp liquid rennet
- 5 tsp non-chlorinated water
- Pour milk into a large pot and add salt.. Over low heat bring the milk up to temperature between 85 and 105°F (30-40 C)
- Turn the burner off. Mix the rennet with 5 tsp of non chlorinated water. Next add liquid rennet to the milk. Stir for 1 minute
- Cover and let stand for 90 minutes.
- With a knife, cut across the curd and then across in the opposite direction. Note:approximately 2 inches apart. Do not stir or try to split the curds apart.
- Place the mould inside cookie sheet pan bit of a rim. (casserole dish could be used also 9x12")
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. The first day you may need to drain the way out of the cookie sheet pan twice. Then the second and third day trained away once each day.
- On the third day you can unmold the cheese. With a knife go around the edge of the mole between the cheese and the mold. Then place a small plate over the mold flip it over and tap on a wooden cutting board.
- Note: if you want the cheese to be firmer, let it drain for four days. You could also I'm old one after three days and let the others go for an additional day- if you're dying to cut into it!