Pasteis de Tentugal (Portuguese crispy flaky pastry filled with egg custard)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 package phyllo dough
- 6 oz melted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Defrost the phylllo dough for 24 hours in the refrigerator
- In a pot add the water, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. After it comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and allow in to gently boil for an additional 2 minutes. (or until the temperature of the sugar mixture reaches 220-225 F.) Allow the sugar mixture to cool down for about 10 minutes
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and a quarter teaspoon of salt together.
- Temper the egg yolks with the sugar mixture: While mixing the egg yolks add about 2 tablespoons of the warm sugar mixture to the egg yolks. Continue adding about 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture to the egg yolk mixture while whisking until they are both combined.
- Next, put the egg yolk/sugar mixture in a pot over medium low heat. Whisk until the mixture thickens. (it will be about the thickness of mustard, and after it cools down it will thicken more). If you have a thermometer it should be about 170-180°F. (optional: you could add in some almond flour).allow the mixture to cool for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Melt the butter.
- Line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper. Open the phyllo dough. Lay one sheet of the dough on a cutting board and cut into 4 equal squares. (except for the one sheet you are working with keep a slightly damp towel over the Phyllo dough until you're ready to work with it).
- Place one of the squares of dough in front of you and brush with some melted butter. Place a second piece of dough on top of the buttered square. Now you should have 2 sheets stacked on top of each other. Spread 1 tablespoon of filling on top of the stack sheets about 1.5 inches from the bottom leave the filling about an inch from the sides. Roll up the sheets of dough and fold over the sides. brush with more butter and place on the cookie sheet pan. Repeat this process until all the filling is used up.
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes then dust with powdered sugar.