Peixinhos da Horta ( Portuguese Tempura Vegetables)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 quart vegetable oil corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil,
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 2 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Slice your zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers in long strips.
- Heat up your cooking oil to 360°F
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white and reserve in a bowl
- Mix 8 ounces of ice water with the egg yolk - stir until blended
- Mix the flour into the water egg yolk mixture
- Dip if you pieces of vegetable into the batter and then with your clean hand or tongs transferred the batter coated vegetables into the frying oil. Pull any pieces of vegetables that are sticking together in the oil apart with tongs or a long fork. Cook for about three minutes.
- Pull the vegetables out of the frying oil and place on a plate with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.