Sopa da Pedra (Portuguese Stone Soup)
Stone Soup is a Portuguese folk story in which a hungry stranger convinces the people of a town to each share a small amount of their food in order to make a meal that begins with a stone in a pot. The story exists as a moral regarding the value of sharing.
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 8 oz morcella blood sausage
- 8 oz chouriço sausage
- 10 oz pork belly
- 1 pound potatoes cubed
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your onions, garlic, potatoes, cilantro, and pork belly
- Peel and slice the carrots in coin shape. Slice the Chourico in coin shapes.
- In a hot pot add some olive oil and sauté the chopped pork belly for about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots onions and Bayleaf to the pot cook for an additional 10 minutes
- Add 3 quarts of water about. liter. also add the potatoes, bring up to a simmer.
- Add the chopped garlic, 1/2 of the chopped cilantro and morcella sausage - cook for about 15-20 minutes
- Remove the morcella; then let in cool for about 5 minutes and slice.
- Add the chouriço sausage, red beans and morcella blood sausage to the pot.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes -the potatoes should be tender and easily pierced with a fork
- Finish with more chopped cilantro and serve. (ABOUT 12 SERVINGS)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!