This will be your new favorite sautéed shrimp recipe. This dish has it all: complex flavors and beautiful color. Prepare your taste buds to be amazed!
- 1¼ lbs shrimp
- 6 oz white wine
- 10 strands saffron
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 lemon for juice and zest
- 1-2 tbsp piri piri hot sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups rice or couscous cooked
- parsley garnish
- Peel the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl add the white wine and saffron strands. Let the saffron steep in the wine for at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium saute pan, over medium heat, add olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, around 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once the onions are softened and translucent add the garlic to the pan. Add in the cumin, paprika and shrimp.
- While continuing to cook the shrimp, add in the white wine and saffron, as well as the juice from one lemon. Stir and let simmer. Add in the piri piri sauce.
- Once the shrimp becomes opaque, after about 5-6 minutes, add in the lemon zest and butter. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Taste and add more piri piri hot sauce if you would like the dish spicier. To plate, top a bed of rice with the shrimp and sprinkle with parsley to garnish.