The crunch from the cabbage as well as acid from the gastrique is a perfect complement a pork chop. This dish is sure to impress your guests while still being simple and easy to manage!
Pork Chops with Red Cabbage and Apple Gastrique
- ½ lb bacon chopped, ½" cubes
- 1 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 green apples peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 pork chop bone in
- ½ cup flour
- In a medium sauté pan cook the bacon a quarter of the way through. Into the same pan add the cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the apple. Add in sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- In a small bowl mix ¼ cup water with cornstarch. Mix until fully combined and no clumps of cornstarch remain. Pour mixture into cabbage mixture. Stir to mix throughout and turn off the pan.
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Coat both sides with a thin layer of flour. Into a hot sauté pan (carbon steel or cast iron recommended) add in olive oil. Place pork chop into hot pan cooking about 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your pork chops.
- Serve the pork chops over a bed of the cabbage mixture.