From this recipe you will learn how to make spicy Portuguese piri piri hot sauce and how to spatchcock a chicken, resulting in a delicious grilled chicken dish.
Spicy Piri-Piri Spatchcock Chicken
- 7-10 lbs whole chicken
- 6-12 bay leaves roughly chopped
- 1 onion
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 12 piri piri peppers
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Add all ingredients, except for the bay leaves and chicken, to a food processor. Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- To spatchcock the chicken, cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it from the bird. Turn the chicken over and make a small cut on the breast bone so the chicken can open and lay flat. In thick parts of the meat make small cuts to allow the marinate to penetrate further into the bird.
- Pour the piri piri sauce over the chicken. Ensure that the sauce is covering all sides. Sprinkle the bay leaves over the chicken. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- Barbecue the chicken over a hot grill for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.