Pastéis de Feijão (Portuguese white bean and almond flour tart)
- 24 tart mold (tart tins) https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/pans-forms-and-molds
- 2 cups flour 240g
- 6 oz water 170g
- 3 tbsp soft butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 whole egg
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup canned white beans
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- In a bowl add 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp of salt, 1 table spoon of sugar
- Mix in 6 oz of water, the add 3 tablespoons of soft butter that has been cut in to 1/2 cube pieces. Begin by mixing with a rubber spatula, then continue meeting the door with your hands for a few minutes until well combined.
- let the dough rest from 10 minutes, up to 12 hours.
- Mash 3/4 cups of canned white beans. (you could use a potato masher or food processor).
- In a seperate pot add 3/4 cup of water. 1 tsp of salt and 2 cups of sugar. Mix over medium heat. Once it comes a boil turn the heat to low and continue to boil for 2-3 minutes. (or bring it up to temperture about 220-225 F.
- Let the syrup cool of for at least 10 minutes. Then mix in the almond flour
- butter the tart shells or you can also use spray butter.
- in a I separate bowl add one whole egg and 8 egg yolks. Stir the eggs and add it to the pan with the sugar syrup, almond mixture. Mix with a rubber spatula until well combined. Next add in the bean puree. Mix with a whisk until it is combined.
- Roll the dough into a log about an inch in diameter. Cut the log into 1/4- to 1/2 inch pieces. You want to have enough dough to press into the mold about 1/2 to 1 mm thick. Thinner is better. Press the dough into the bottom of the mold and work it up the sides. The dough should be pressed up the sides so it is just above the rim.
- Preheat oven to 430°F. Pour the filling into the tart shells.
- I mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of sugar
- I sprinkle this topping mixture over the filled tart shells. And place into the preheated oven..
- Bake in a 430° F oven for 20 minutes