An upgrade to the childhood favorite grilled cheese. The parmesan crust adds a delicious bite and savory umami flavor.
Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices sourdough
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- ½ cup parmesan shredded
- ½ tsp rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp oregano fresh, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- 4-5 slices provolone cheese
- Liberally coat one side of each sourdough slice in butter.
- Spread the parmesan out evenly on a flat surface. Firmly press the buttered side of the bread into the parmesan. Ensure that the slice is evenly coated in parmesan.
- Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the parmesan crusted side of the bread. Place bread in the freezer for 5 minutes, to all the butter to firm.
- Warm a non-stick medium satué pan to medium heat. Place one slice of bread, parmesan side down, onto the warm pan. Top the bread with enough provolone cheese to fully cover the slice. Cook for two minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and add the sun-dried tomatoes on top of the provolone. Using a spatula check to see if the parmesan is beginning to brown. Once the slice is golden brown, add the second slice on top, parmesan up. Carefully flip the sandwich to cook the second side. Cook until bread is golden brown and the provolone cheese is melted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.