Pão de Deus (Portuguese bread for God - Pao de deus)
- ¾ cup warm milk ideally between 105 and 115°F about 44°C
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3½ cups flour 450g
- ¼ cup soft butter 40g
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated coconut sweetened 150g
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tbsp water
- In a small bowl add 3/4 cup of warm milk. (ideally at a temperature between 105 and 115°F) stirring 2 tablespoons of sugar and the dry yeast. Allowed to rehydrate for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Zest 1 lemon.Add the flour, 2 eggs, salt, lemon zest, 1/4 cup of sugar, vanilla, dark rum to a mixing bowl. Then add the warm milk yeast mixture. Then mix with a dough hook for about 2 minutes.
- While medium speed with the dough Hook add a quarter cup of soft butter – a little bit out of time. After you finish adding the butter continue mixing at medium speed for 6 to 10 minutes. The dough should be a little wet slightly tacky to the touch.
- Bulk proof the dough. For about1.5 hours if the ambient temperature is 80 - 85°F3 hours if the ambient temperature is 70- 75°F 5 hours if the ambient temperature is 60- 65° F
- After bulk proofing. Place the dough on a floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 portions about 90 g each (a little bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball)Shape the portions into a ball.
- After shaping the portions of dough, allow the Dow to proof for a second time:If the ambient temperature is about 85° proof for 30 minutes.If the ambient temperature is about 75° proof for an hour
- Place 2 cups of grated sweetened coconut in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and one egg. Combine with a spoon until mixed well together.
- Make an egg wash: in a small bowl add one whole egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk together.
- After the portioned pieces of dough finished their second proofing, bush each portion with the egg wash.
- Put about 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut mixture in the palm of your hand and with the back of a spoon press it into the palm of your hand to form a dome shaped. Place the coconut dome on each piece of dough.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20 to 25 minutes. If using an Instant read digital thermometer the interior temperature should be between 190 and 200°F