This Portuguese dish of fried cornmeal is wonderful as a side to veggies or meat!
Milho Frito - Portuguese Fried Polenta
- 3½ cups water
- 1 tsp salt or chicken bouillon
- 1¼ cups white corn meal
- pure olive oil
- Lightly oil a rectangular baking dish.
- Bring water to a boil and add salt/ bouillon. Using a whisk continue to stir as you slowly pour corn meal into the water. Whisk vigorously to prevent clumps. Turn down heat to lowest setting. When the polenta becomes to thick to whisk, switch to a wooden spoon. Continue to stir. After about 10 minutes remove the heat. Using a spatula, scoop the polenta into the oiled baking dish. Press in an even layer to ½"-1½" thick. Refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Using a spatula loosen the edges of the polenta. Turn the baking dish upside down to plop the polenta on to a cutting board. Cut into rectangles or squares.
- Add a nice layer of olive oil into a hot pan. Place the polenta into the pan, it should sizzle as soon as it touches the oil. Fry each piece for about 5 minutes on each side.