The Francesinha was invented in the Porto region of Portugal in the 1960s. This sandwich has 5 types of meat and is covered in a fried egg, melted cheese and a rich sauce.
Francesinha Portugal's Hangover Sandwich?
- 4-6 oz steak top sirloin
- 1 link fresh sausage
- 1 link linguica
- 6 slices muenster cheese alternatives: Jack, Provolone, Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 slices thick soft bread
- 2 oz salami
- 2 oz ham
- 1 egg
Sauce ( enough for 2 sandwiches)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion largely diced
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1 can beer larger or ale
- 1 tsp beef bullion powder
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 4 oz white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cut the steak in half and then pound the meat to tenderize it.
- Add olive oil into a pan. When hot, add the fresh sausage link. Once it is about half way cooked, after about 5 minutes, add in the linguica. At the same time add in the onions and garlic for the sauce. Allow these to sauté together over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove the sausage from the pan. Add in 1 can of beer, the tomato sauce, the hot sauce, the beef bullion, a bay leaf, black pepper and white wine. Bring this up to a medium boil. Allow it to boil for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the bay leaf. When it reaches a safe temperature use a food processor, immersion blender, or traditional blender to blend the sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Pour it back into the pan and keep it warm until it is ready to serve.
- Salt and pepper the steak on both sides. To a hot pan with olive oil cook the steak. The steak should only take a minute on each side, because it has been pounded into a thin piece.
- From your cheese slices, cut out a half moon shape on the edge of each slice (see picture or video). This cut out will be where the yolk of the egg will come through.
- To a pan melt the butter. Lay down a slice of bread. Top the bread with ham, two slices of salami, the sausage (cut in half lengthwise) and linguica, a slice of cheese, the steak and finally the second slice of bread. Add 2 teaspoons more of butter and flip the sandwich to toast the second slice of bread. If needed, put the sandwich in the oven to keep warm while you cook the fried egg sunny-side up.
- To plate the sandwich top with the fried egg. The yolk should be in the center. Surround the yolk with the slices of cheese. Pour the hot sauce over the cheese in order to melt it.