Espetada, or Portuguese Beef Skewers, is a classic dish from Madeira island. The dish requires little preparation and does not need to be marinated but packs a hefty punch of flavor. Try this out at your next barbecue!
Espetada | Portuguese Beef Skewers
- 20 fresh bay leaves
- 2.5-3 lbs beef top sirloin
- coarse sea salt
- Cube the meat into about 1.5" chunks.
- On a large metal skewer, or laurel branch, place the meat. Allow a little space between each piece of meat to allow all sides to get crisp. If you are using a metal skewer, place a fresh bay leaf between each piece of meat.
- Just before placing the meat over a hot open fire, coat with the coarse salt on all sides, pressing the salt into the meat if needed. After salting the meat it needs to be placed over the barbecue within 5 minutes.
- The meat should take between 8-15 minutes to cook. Turn the meat once or twice to ensure it is cooking evenly. Once the meat is done, hit the skewer on the barbecue frame, or against the other skewers, to knock of some of the rock salt.
- Traditionally served with Bolo do Caco