Encharcada de Ovos (Portuguese soaked eggs from Évora)
- 2 whole eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Lemon peel from one lemon
- Peel about 4 large pieces of lemon rind from the lemon
- In a pot add a 1/4 cup of water, 2 cups of granulated sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice, and a 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Over medium heat bring to a boil. Once the sugar solution begins to boil, let it simmer for an additional minute. If you have an instant read the monitor the temperature should get to about 215°F - 235°F
- Set the sugar solution aside and let it cool down for at least five minutes
- In another bowl add two whole eggs and 10 egg yolks. Then whisk them together gently.
- Strained egg mixture through a sieve into a vessel that's easy to pour.
- Put the pot with the sugar on the stove top - over low heat. Slowly drizzle in the egg yolk mixture. A few tablespoons at a time. Allow the eggs to curdle a little, then add more eggs. Continue adding the eggs.
- Once all of the eggs have been added, turn the heat to the lowest setting and continue to cook and stir for an additional 5- 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked egg mixture to your serving dish. It's probably easiest just to put it in individual ramekins. But you could also put it in a shallow serving dish, or a false bottom tart pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the dessert generously with cinnamon.