Try out this fresh take of eggplant parmesan. All the delicious elements of the traditional dish but drizzled with olive oil rather than smothered with sauce. This version allows all the fresh ingredients to shine independently, while still pairing together beautifully.
- 1 eggplant cut into ¼" rounds
- 2 tomato cut into ¼" rounds
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella cut into ¼" rounds
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp basil finely chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- On to a baking sheet, lay out the eggplant rounds and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Following the same steps, salt and pepper the tomato rounds. Set aside and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Using a pastry brush or paper towel, spread a thin layer of olive oil on both sides of the eggplant. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Brush a baking pan with oil and lay the tomatoes so they are not overlapping. Bake in the same oven with the eggplant for only 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the fresh mozzarella.
- To create the stack, on the bottom place one round of eggplant, topped with a sprinkling of the fresh herbs and parmesan cheese, a tomato slice and lastly a mozzarella slice. Repeat this process until each stack has 3 slices of eggplant. Drizzle the stack with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Repeat until you have 4 stacks.