This delicious wine sauce is made with the wine that was used to toast the signing of the Declaration of Independence of the United States. The sauce is creamy, delicious and unique.
Chicken with Madeira Wine Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 packet gelatin approx. 2¼ tsp
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 lb mushrooms
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1¼ cup Madeira wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2½ lbs chicken breast
- ¼ whipping cream
- To create a roux, in a small pan over medium-low heat add butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Let cook for 3 minutes. Set aside. This will help thicken the sauce later.
- Add ¾ cup stock to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup of stock to a small bowl. Whisk in the gelatin and let sit for one minute. Add in a tablespoon of the hot stock to the gelatin bowl. Stir to incorporate, then pour gelatin into the saucepan combining all the stock. Let it heat for one minute then remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a hot pan. Add chopped mushrooms. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Before removing the pan for the heat, deglaze the pan with ¼ cup of Madeira wine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a hot pan. Add in the sliced onions. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste. With the pan on medium heat add 1 cup of Madeira wine to deglaze the pan and create the sauce. To the pan with the onions and wine, add in the thyme and bay leaf. Let the wine simmer for about 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Combine the mushrooms and onion/wine mixture into one pot. Add in the stock. Allow to simmer. Add in cherry tomatoes. Mix in the roux. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Add in the whipping cream.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to a hot pan. Add the chicken to the pan cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- To serve, spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts.