Try out this traditional Portuguese dish. After marinating for 3 days the pork will have an incredible amount of flavor!
Carne Vinha d' Alhos (Pork Marinated in Garlic and Wine)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil ¼ cup for marinade, ¼ cup for frying
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oregano roughly chopped
- 2 tsp thyme roughly chopped
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs pork shoulder or butt 1" cubes
- In bowl combine red wine, white wine vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, bay leaves, chopped herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add meat into the marinade. Marinade should be covering the meat. Cover with plastic wrap Let sit in refrigerator for 3-7 days, Stirring twice a day.
- Into a hot pan, add a ¼ cup of the marinade along with a handful of pork. Let the pork braise for 15-20 minutes. Pick out the bay leaves. After about 15 minutes remove the sauce with a spoon. Keep this cooked sauce as you can spoon it over your meat or dip your bread into it later. Add olive oil into the pan. Let meat cook in pan for about 10 minutes to allow it to brown.
- Serve with potatoes, bolo do caco or milho frito! Don't forget the cook sauce you reserved.