Baked Alaska is a delicious adult ice cream cake disguised as an elegant dessert. It is sure to impress your guests. You will learn how to make Italian meringue and use a kitchen torch to toast the dessert before serving.
Ice Cream Cake
- 1.5-2 qts ice cream
- 16-24 oz pound or sponge cake
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp vinegar / lemon juice ½ tsp cream of tartar
Ice Cream Cake
- Build your ice cream cake on top of a cookie sheet pan that can fit in your freezer.With the ice cream still in the carton, cut the carton in half length wise. Cut a piece of cake to create a bed for the ice cream. The ice cream should be laying on the cake, cut side down to create a log shape. Continue by cutting ¼-½" pieces, planks, of cake to cover your ice cream log completely. Place the cake in the freezer while you build the meringue. This can be done up to one day in advance. Cover the cake in plastic wrap if left in the freezer overnight.
- Into a stand mixer, add the egg whites and vinegar. Simultaneously in a pot over low heat, mix sugar and water. When the sugar reaches 130°F turn on the mixer and start whipping the egg whites. When the sugar reaches 140°F, and the egg whites are at a soft peak, remove it from the heat and slowly pour the sugar into the egg whites while the machine is on. Continue to whip the eggs until the meringue just reaches a stiff peak.
- Frost the ice cream cake with the Italian meringue. Place the frosted cake back in the freezer and let set for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and use a kitchen torch to toast the meringue.