Try out this rich, creamy Portuguese dish. Bacalhau, salted cod, is a staple in Portuguese cooking and you will understand why after making this dish!
Bacalhau Com Natas - Salted Cod with Cream
- 1½-2 lbs bacalhau
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes large, peeled, cut into ¼" half moons
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in half, for garnish
- parsley garnish
- Soak the bacalhau (salt cod) for 24 hours changing the water 4 to 6 times.
- Remove any skin and bones from the bacalhau. Shred the bacalhau into ½"-1" pieces
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter into a large hot pan. Sauté onions until translucent and limp about 5-10 minutes. Towards the end add slightly crumpled bay leaves. Add in potatoes, salt and milk. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add in bacalhau, nutmeg and black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Until the potato is cooked but still has a slight bite. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- In another pan make your roux. Add 3 tablespoons butter and flour.Let cook for 5 minutes. Add into the bacalhau mixture. Keep bacalhau in the hot pan, but turn off the flame. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix together breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Into a bowl crack your egg. Whisk. Add heavy whipping cream. Mix into bacalhau mixture. Dump everything into a casserole dish. Place in 350°F oven for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn your oven to broil. Sprinkle casserole with breadcrumb cheese mixture and put back in the over for 5-10 minutes. It is done when the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Keep a close eye to ensure the casserole does not burn on top
- Sauté tomatoes for about 10 minutes in a pan over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove casserole from oven. Garnish with sautéed tomatoes and fresh parsley.