Bacalhau com grão de bico, or salted cod with chickpeas, is another Portuguese classic to add to your repertoire. You’ll need to plan ahead and soak the bacalhau the night before, but other than that this dish comes together very quickly! This would be great made ahead and served at a picnic or potluck on a warm day.
Cod with Chickpeas | Bacalhau com Grão de Bico
- 1 ½ lbs bacalhau (salted cod) soaked in water for 24 hours, water changed at least twice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 can black olives
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 hard boiled eggs boiled about 12 minutes
- To a pot over medium heat add the bacalhau. Bring the water to a simmer and let it simmer until the bacalhau can be easily shredded, about 10-20 minutes. Once tender, remove the bacalhau from the water and shred with two forks or your hands.
- To a large bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Add in the sliced onion, bacalhau, roasted peppers, parsley, chickpeas, black olives and garlic.
- This dish tastes best after the flavors merry overnight. Just before serving slice the hard boiled eggs and set on top as garnish.