Try out this traditional Portuguese Bacalhau casserole!
Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa - Salt Cod Casserole
- 2 lbs bacalhau (salt cod)
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled, ¼" slices
- 2 onions ¼" slices
- 6 eggs hard boiled and peeled, quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 can black olives
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Soak the salt cod for 24 hours changing the water at least 6 times over that time.
- Using two forks, shred the cod into ½"-1" pieces.
- Simmer milk with bacalhau and potatoes. This will take about 30 minutes and is done when the potatoes are tender. When potatoes are tender, strain milk from the pot. Taste the potatoes if they need salt add it now.
- To a hot pan add olive oil and onions. Sauté until golden and translucent then add garlic. Cook for 3 more minutes then turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To casserole dish add bacalhau and potato mixture. Add in half the can of olives and sautéed onions. Mix in any crumbly pieces of the hard boiled eggs. Add black pepper. Add ¼ cup of olive oil. Stir to combine. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish casserole with quartered hard boiled eggs and remaining olives. Enjoy!