Bacalhau à Brás is a Portuguese salted cod dish from Lisbon, containing with matchstick potatoes and eggs. Other than soaking the bacalhau, this dish comes together quickly and is a family favorite!
Bacalhau à Brás
- ¾ lb bacalhau soaked 24-48 hours to remove excess salt
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion, medium thinly sliced
- 3 fresh bay leaf
- 6 oz matchstick potatoes
- ¼ parsley chopped
- 6 eggs whisked until homogenous
- ½ black olives, whole
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Place the bacalhau in boiling water. Cook for about 10 minutes until it can be easily shredded. Remove from water and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Add extra virgin olive oil into a hot pan. Sauté onions for about 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add in garlic and fresh bay leaves. Add in shredded bacalhau. Taste and add salt if needed. Do NOT add salt before tasting the bacalhau as it is often very salty.
- Add in the matchstick potatoes and chopped parsley. Stir to incorporate. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in whisked eggs and cook until the eggs are cooked, about 5 minutes. Stir in the whole olives, reserving some for garnish.
- To plate, add some of the bacalhau mixture then top with black olives, parsley leaves and a few matchstick potatoes.