Sweet rice is served all over the world. This is a Portuguese version known as Arroz Doce. This simple dessert is easy to make and a big hit with the family.
Arroz Doce | Sweet Rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup rice medium or short grain
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ oz yellow and orange zest cut zest in a large strip so it can be removed from the dish after cooking
- 3 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- To a warm pan add butter and rice. Stir until butter melts and coats the grains of rice. Add in water and salt. Stir. Allow rice to come to a boil on the stove, then place the lid on the pot and move it to the preheated oven. Cook the rice for the time indicate on the rice package, about 15-20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
- After the rice has finished cooking in the oven, place it back on the stove over low heat. Add in milk, sugar, vanilla, and orange and lemon zest. Optionally, add a cinnamon stick. Stirring every couple of minutes to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom, cook for about 15-20 minutes, until it looks like a creamy oatmeal. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Test the tenderness of the rice. If you think it needs to be cooked more, add a splash of milk and cook to desired texture.
- To a bowl add the egg yolks and a tablespoon of milk or water. Whisk until well combined. Then to the bowl add a tablespoon or two of the hot rice mixture. Mix until combined. This will temper the eggs so they do not scramble when added into the rice pot.
- Remove the zest and cinnamon stick from the rice. Add the egg yolks into the rice. Stir until incorporated. Serve in large serving dish. Top with ground cinnamon if desired.