Arroz de Marisco - Portuguese seafood rice
Arroz de Marisco is a seafood classic from the Portuguese Cuisine. Despite its creation being associated to a beach in Central Portugal – Praia de Vieira de Leiria, it is widely available in many restaurants across coastal Portugal. It usually comprises of a variety of shellfish, peppers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and short-grain rice making an indulgent and delicious dish. In addition, it was also selected in 2011 as one of the 7 wonders of the Portuguese gastronomy.
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups clam juice or fish stock
- 1 pound clams
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 shrimp shrimp
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 clove of garlic garlic, Minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato Paste
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Clean the clams and mussels, to remove any sand
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a 6-8 quart pot, allow the oil to heat up.
- Add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the clams and muscles to the onions and garlic and sauté for about five minutes.
- Next add the shrimp, Bayleaves, paprika, white wine diced tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, Put a colander in a large pot and strain the seafood into the pot in order to separate the fish stock,
- You should have about 4 cups of fish stock for 2 cups of rice. You could add more water to make up the difference if needed..
- Pour the stock into a 4 quart pot and add the rice. Brink the stock up to a simmer. Then put the lid on the rice and place in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Combine the rice, cilantro and the seafood together. Taste. And season with salt and pepper if necessary. The rice should be slightly soupy. If it is too dry you could add more water, stock or diced tomatoes
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!