Açorda is a simple soup from the Alentajo region of Portugal. It contains just a handful of simple ingredients, including garlic, piri piri peppers, cilantro and bread. If you’re looking for something quick and easy on a cold day, this soup is for you!
Açorda | Portuguese Garlic and Cilantro Bread Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tsp piri piri peppers roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups bread cubed
- 4 poached eggs
- In a large pot, heat the stock on the stove.
- Add garlic, piri piri peppers, cilantro and olive oil into a mortar and pestle, or a bowl. Using a pestle, muddler or back of a wooden spoon, muddle the ingredients to break them down and extract flavor. (Alternatively, chop all ingredients very finely and forgo muddling.) Add the muddled ingredients into the hot stock. Taste broth and add salt if needed.
- To serve, fill the base of the bowl with some cubed stale bread. Ladle the soup over the bread and top with a poached egg.